Air Force will Review Procedures After Learning that Military Personnel Stayed at a Trump Resort

In a statement released on Sunday, the Air Force admitted that seven crew members stayed at the Turnberry Resort in Scotland, owned by Trump, and that although they complied with all regulations “they could be permissible, but not recommended.”

The United States Air Force ordered a review of its procedures worldwide to decide where it will house its staff during nighttime stops, after it was known that occasionally some crews had stayed overnight at a luxury resort 50 miles from Glasgow, which It is part of the set of properties of President Donald Trump in Scotland.

The case was initially announced on Friday by the Politico site in a report in which it said that it is not an isolated incident.

One of the cases mentioned occurred on March 13 of this year, when the Air Force sent seven crew members on a C-17 military transport plane that was heading to Kuwait from Alaska to the Trump Turnberry resort in Scotland, after the plane made a stopover to refuel at a nearby airport.

Some congressmen and spokespersons of government control agencies have warned about the possible violation of ethical norms and laws that regulate the use of private goods by public administration officials.

The Constitution prohibits government officials, including the president, from receiving financial benefits known as emoluments from foreign or national governments, without the approval of Congress.

This Sunday, admitting that some of its crews have stayed at Trump facilities, the military component said in a statement that “all directives and procedures were complied with, although” they could be permissible, but not recommended. ”

“The Air Force leaders ordered the Air Mobility Command to review all the guidelines regarding the selection of airports and accommodation during international travel,” said the statement released Sunday night by Brigadier General Edward W. Thomas Jr., chief spokesman for the Air Force.

The military institution states that “even when the USAF crews follow all directives and guidelines, we must take into account the perception that could be created by the appearance of crews staying in those places.”

On Saturday, an Air Force officer quoted by The New York Times defended the decision to host the crew at Trump’s resort, saying there were no other rooms available nearby and that the discounted rate the resort charged was for below the spending limit of $166 a night.

Since starting his presidency in 2017, the use of Trump’s private properties for government-related trips has been permanently subject to public scrutiny.

Recently Vice President Mike Pence stayed at Trump’s tourist complex in Doonbeg, Ireland, at hours of his scheduled events in Dublin, before which the Democratic members of the House of Representatives Supervisory and Judicial Committees demanded documentation on how they made that decision.

Trump also suggested during the G7 meeting last month that the next group meeting in 2020 could be held at his golf resort in Miami.

 

 

Source: Univision

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *