Demographics in Poland: Essential Information
Poland is the sixth most populous country in the European Union with a population of approximately 38.4 million people. The country’s demographics have gone through significant changes in the recent past, with a considerable impact on its social, economic, and political dynamics.
Poland has an ageing population, with a significant population of people aged 60 and over. According to the official statistics by Poland’s Central Statistical Office, in 2020, over 18% of the population was aged 65 or older, with the median age being 42.2 years.
Poland has a slightly higher proportion of women than men, with women making up 51.5% of the entire population. This gender distribution is attributed to Poland’s lower life expectancy for men, resulting in a higher number of women than men.
Poland is highly urbanized, with about 60% of the population living in urban areas. The largest cities in Poland are Warsaw, Krakow, and Łódź.
Poland is not a significant destination for immigrants, with the majority of them coming from neighboring Ukraine, Germany, and Belarus. According to official statistics, a majority of immigrants in Poland are aged between 25 and 44 years old.
Poland is a homogeneous country with a predominantly Polish population. About 96.7% of the population is Polish, with the remaining 3.3% comprising European minorities such as Belarusians, Ukrainians, and Germans.
Poland remains one of the most religious countries in Europe, with Catholicism being the predominant religion. About 93% of Poles identify as Roman Catholic, with the remaining 7% comprising of non-Christians and other Christian sects such as Protestantism and Orthodoxy.
Poland has a mixed economy that has undergone significant reforms since the fall of communism in 1989. Despite the global economic challenges, Poland has maintained a steady economic growth trend, with its GDP expected to grow by 3.5% in 2021.
1. What is the population of Poland?
The population of Poland is approximately 38.4 million.
2. What is the age distribution in Poland?
Poland has an ageing population, with over 18% of the population being aged 65 or older.
3. What is the gender distribution in Poland?
Poland has a slightly higher proportion of women than men, with women making up 51.5% of the entire population.
4. What is the largest city in Poland?
The largest city in Poland is Warsaw, followed by Krakow and Łódź.
5. What is the ethnic distribution in Poland?
Poland is a homogeneous country with a predominantly Polish population. About 96.7% of the population is Polish.
6. What is the dominant religion in Poland?
Catholicism is the predominant religion in Poland, with about 93% of the population identifying as Roman Catholic.
7. What is the state of the Polish economy?
Poland has a mixed economy that has undergone significant reforms since the fall of communism in 1989. Despite global economic challenges, Poland has maintained a steady growth trend, with its GDP expected to grow by 3.5% in 2021.
Poland’s demographics are an essential aspect to consider when analyzing various social, economic, and political issues affecting the country. Understanding Poland’s age distribution, gender distribution, and ethnic distribution, as well as its dominant religion and the state of its economy, gives insight into the country’s overall trajectory. Despite its ageing population, Poland’s steady economic growth and stable political situation make it an attractive destination for various sectors.