Obtaining Greek Citizenship by Descent: A Comprehensive Guide
Greece is a country with a rich history and culture that attracts many people around the world. For those who have Greek ancestors, obtaining Greek citizenship may be a dream come true. Greek citizenship by descent is a process through which a person can become a Greek citizen if they have at least one Greek ancestor.
In this guide, we will discuss the requirements, process, and benefits of obtaining Greek citizenship by descent. Moreover, this comprehensive guidance aims to answer all your questions regarding your eligibility, documentation, and various other aspects that are associated with the Greek citizenship application process.
To be eligible for Greek citizenship by descent, at least one of your parents or grandparents must be a Greek citizen. A person who was born in Greece to non-Greek parents before 1984 is also eligible if they can prove their birth and residency in Greece. Greek citizenship by descent is also available to those who were born outside Greece but have a Greek parent who was also born outside Greece.
To apply for Greek citizenship by descent, the first step is to gather all necessary documents. These may include:
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- Birth certificate of the Greek ancestor
- Marriage certificate of the applicant’s parents
- Marriage certificate of the Greek ancestor
- Death certificate of the Greek ancestor, if applicable
- Greek National ID card or passport of the Greek ancestor
- Passport of the applicant’s parents or grandparents
All documents must be in their original form and accompanied by certified translations in Greek if they are in a foreign language. Furthermore, any documentation that is not in accordance with Greek legal provisions will be rejected, and the application will not proceed.
The Application Process
The application process for Greek citizenship by descent is as follows:
- The applicant collects and submits all necessary documents to a Greek consulate or embassy in the country of their current residence.
- The consulate verifies the documents and may request additional information or clarification.
- The consulate provides the necessary paperwork and instructions for the next steps, which may include a visit to Greece for an interview and the completion of additional paperwork.
- If the application is approved, the applicant will receive a Greek citizenship certificate.
The application process may take several months to complete, and it is recommended that applicants remain in contact with the consulate or embassy throughout the process.
Benefits of Greek Citizenship
Greek citizenship offers many benefits, including the right to live and work in Greece, access to public healthcare and education, eligibility for government benefits, and increased opportunities for travel and work within the European Union.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does the application process take?
The application process can take several months to complete, depending on the consular office and the completeness of the application.
2. Can I apply for Greek citizenship by descent if my Greek ancestor was adopted?
Yes. If your Greek ancestor was adopted, you may still be eligible for Greek citizenship by descent if the adoption occurred after the Greek ancestor was born.
3. Do I need to speak Greek to apply for Greek citizenship by descent?
No, you do not need to speak Greek to apply for Greek citizenship by descent. However, knowledge of the language can be helpful if you plan on living or working in Greece.
4. Can I apply for Greek citizenship by descent if my Greek ancestor was born in what is now Turkey or another country?
Yes. If your Greek ancestor was born in what is now Turkey or another country, you may still be eligible for Greek citizenship by descent if they were born when the area was part of the Ottoman Empire or any other territory that came under Greek administration.
5. Can I keep my current citizenship if I become a Greek citizen by descent?
Yes, Greece allows dual citizenship, so you can keep your current citizenship if you become a Greek citizen by descent.
Obtaining Greek citizenship by descent can open up many opportunities for those with Greek ancestors. However, it is a lengthy and often complicated process. By understanding the eligibility criteria, required documents, and application process, you can increase your chances of success. With persistence and the right documentation, you can become a Greek citizen and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer.