Securing a South Korean Language Trainer Visa: Steps and Guidelines

Securing a South Korean Language Trainer Visa: Steps and Guidelines

As South Korea continues to establish its position as a major player in the global market, there has been a rise in demand for foreign language trainers. South Korea is known for its proficiency in English language skills and this has created a huge market for language trainers who can help Koreans improve their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.

If you are interested in teaching English or any other foreign language in South Korea, it is important to obtain a language trainer visa. This visa is designed to allow you to live and work in the country legally while teaching your language of expertise. In this article, we’ll go through the steps required to obtain a South Korean Language Trainer Visa.

Eligibility for a South Korean Language Trainer Visa

Before we dive into the steps, it’s important to check whether you meet the eligibility criteria to apply for the South Korean Language Trainer Visa. The following are some of the requirements to be eligible for this visa:

  • You must have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
  • You must be fluent in the language you wish to teach.
  • You need a clean criminal background check.
  • You must be in good health and provide a certified health check result, depending on your nationality and age.
  • You must have a work contract in South Korea and your employer must sponsor your visa application.

Step-by-Step Guide for Securing a South Korean Language Trainer Visa:

Now that you know if you’re eligible for the visa, it’s time to move on to the application process. Here is a step-by-step guide on securing your South Korean Language Trainer Visa:

Step 1: Find a Job

The first step is to find a prospective job in South Korea and acquire a job offer letter or contract from your employer. This will serve as your sponsor for the visa application.

Step 2: Prepare your Documents

You will need to prepare your documents required for the visa application. Here is a list of the most common documents:

  • Visa application form
  • Valid passport (must have at least six months validity)
  • One passport-sized photograph
  • Original university diploma or a notarized copy
  • Original university transcript or notarized copy
  • Criminal Background check (notarized by Korean consulate or apostilled)
  • Medical check-up report
  • Employment Contract

Step 3: Apply for the E-2 visa

The E-2 visa is the visa used for foreign language trainers in South Korea. Once you have all the necessary documents, you can apply for the E-2 visa. You can do this either at the Korean embassy in your home country or at a South Korean consulate or embassy in another country.

Step 4: Wait for your Visa Approval

After submitting your visa application, it can take up to two weeks for the visa to be processed. If your application is approved, you will be notified and can then proceed with planning your trip to South Korea.

Step 5: Arrive in Korea

Upon arrival in South Korea, you will need to pass through the immigration checkpoint, where they will check your passport and visa. Once cleared, you can start your teaching duties.


Q: How long does it take to process the visa application?

A: The processing time for the visa can range between 3-4 weeks, depending on the embassy or consulate you’re applying from.

Q: Can I convert my visa to a different type while in South Korea?

A: Yes, you can change your visa status while in South Korea, but you will need to apply for the visa change at a local immigration office.

Q: What kind of contract should I look for?

A: You should look for a contract that offers a competitive salary, health insurance, and paid vacation time. You should also ensure that your contract includes all the necessary details required for the visa application.

Q: How long can I stay in South Korea on a Language Trainer Visa?

A: Language Trainer Visas are typically issued for up to one year and can be extended as long as you continue to meet the visa requirements.

Q: Can I work part-time or at multiple schools/organizations?

A: You must only work for the employer who sponsored your visa application. If you wish to work part-time or at multiple schools/organizations, you will need to obtain permission from your employer and get a separate work permit.


Securing a South Korean Language Trainer Visa is relatively straightforward as long as you meet the eligibility criteria and follow the steps outlined in this article. It is important to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and that your employer sponsors your visa application. Once you have your visa, you can enjoy teaching Koreans and experiencing the unique culture and lifestyle that South Korea has to offer.

Leave a Comment