UK Language School Work Permit: Application Guidelines

UK Language School Work Permit: Application Guidelines

If you are a non-EEA national interested in working at a UK language school, you will need to apply for a work permit. The work permit gives you the right to work for a specific employer in a specific role for a fixed period of time. Here is a step-by-step guide for the process of applying for a UK language school work permit.

Step 1: Find an employer willing to sponsor you

As a first step, you will need to find a language school willing to hire you and sponsor your visa application. This means that the language school must be a registered sponsor with the UK government.

Step 2: Get a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

Once you have found an employer willing to sponsor you, they will need to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) for you. A CoS is an electronic document assigned to you by your sponsoring employer. The CoS confirms the details of your job offer, including the specific position, salary, work hours, and start and end dates. Once the CoS is assigned to you, your sponsoring employer will provide you with the CoS reference number, which you will need for your visa application.

Step 3: Apply for a work visa

With your CoS reference number, you can then apply for a work visa. The application process will include filling out an online application form, providing biometric information (such as fingerprints and facial recognition), and providing supporting documents (such as your passport, CoS, and proof of finances).


Do I need a work permit if I am an EEA national?

No, if you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you do not need a work permit to work in the UK.

How long does the application process take?

The application process can take up to several weeks, depending on how quickly you can provide the required documents and attend any necessary appointments for biometric information.

Can I extend my work permit?

Possibly. If your employer wants you to stay longer than the length of your initial work permit, they will need to apply to extend your CoS. You will then need to apply for a new work visa.

Can I change employers on a work permit?

No, the work permit is tied to your sponsoring employer and specific position. If you want to change employers or job positions, your new employer will need to apply for a new CoS and you will need to apply for a new work visa.

In conclusion, the process of obtaining a UK language school work permit can be a bit complicated, but it’s definitely possible with the right guidance and preparation. Remember to find a registered sponsor, obtain a CoS, and complete the visa application process. Good luck!

Leave a Comment