Sri Lankan citizens need a visa to visit, work, study, or live in the UK. The type of visa required depends on the purpose of your visit. Some common visa categories include:
- Standard Visitor Visa: This visa is suitable for tourists, people visiting family and friends, or attending short-term business meetings. It typically allows for stays up to six months.
- Work Visas: There are various types of work visas, such as the Skilled Worker Visa, Intra-company Transfer Visa, and Temporary Worker Visa. The specific visa you need will depend on the type of job you have been offered in the UK.
- Student Visas: If you plan to study in the UK, you’ll need a Student Visa (for courses longer than 6 months) or a Short-term Study Visa (for courses shorter than 6 months).
- Family Visas: If you’re joining a family member who is a UK citizen or has settled status, you might need a Family Visa.
To apply for a UK visa, follow these general steps:
- Determine the type of visa you need based on the purpose of your visit.
- Visit the official UK Government website (gov.uk) for up-to-date information on the visa application process and to access the online application form.
- Complete the online application form and pay the visa fee.
- Schedule an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Sri Lanka to submit your biometric information (fingerprints and a digital photograph).
- Attend your appointment and submit your supporting documents.
- Wait for the decision on your visa application, which could take several weeks, depending on the type of visa and time of year.
Always refer to the official UK Government website for the most accurate and up-to-date information on visa requirements and processes.